Saturday, September 12, 2009

Am I Being Greedy?


I got an initial offer on the job I was interviewing for last week. I asked for a salary range of $65 - $70k, and they came back with $60k plus 3% RRSP matching and 3 weeks vacation.

I was only making $50k at my last job (although I didn't tell them that) and it is a REALLY amazing position. Still, I'm a little disappointed at $60 because I really feel like I'm worth $65. What to do, what to do....

On Monday I have another meeting with the Director and I really want to sign off on this contract so I can get started on these projects. For some reason when I'm working on behalf of a company, I'm a pretty savvy negotiator but when it come to negotiating for myself, I don't feel overly confident. That's pretty frustrating. Time to snap out of it and be friendly yet fierce! I just really don't want to miss out on this opportunity.. but I don't think I will.

I'm going to ask for $63k with 4 weeks vacation and see what they say. Butterflies....

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with the negotiations. I was at a job where they offered me less than what I thought I was worth too. I didn't haggle but I ended up leaving it two months later for another job that paid me right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you're greedy. I think you KNOW your worth. And that's a good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. $60k is good! And if you were except a smidge more, it is a *great* starting point! I def. think they will give you $63k plus 4 weeks vaca. It's so empowering to negotiate, isn't it? Best of luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops, I meant to type "expecting". Brain fart.

    ReplyDelete