Saturday, April 4, 2009

The Error Of My Ways

Clearly my personal budgeting has not matured yet, and it seems I've got myself in a bit of a bind. It's my expenses which are getting the best of me. When I was doing my budget, I didn't include $218.00 for 2 monthly transit passes (one for my boss, one for me) because they are refunded through my work expenses and now my bank account is way below my minimum balance.

Today I should have a at least $322.08 in my account but my bank balance is $94.01 - which is never going to last me until my next pay day. Especially since I have $53.00 coming out as the preauthorized minimum payment on my Visa on April 10th.

So $41.01 to last me through April 14th. Good one Allie, good one.

What to do... I could ask for a rush on my expense cheques but sometimes I think the AP clerk at my work goes every more slowly on purpose when my department requests a rush.

The other thing is that even if I got those cheques back, I'd just be in the same situation next month. In theory, those 2 cheques ($218 total) should go into my savings account this month so that next month I already have the funds banked and don't go through this again.

Aaaanyway, I guess these are the types of lessons I'm going to learn in managing my meager finances. Right now, my game plan is bank account freeze and cross all fingers and toes that my benefits reimbursement cheque for my dental cleaning ($188.91) come in quickly :)

2 comments:

  1. yep! its definitely a steep learning curve.. i don't know if anyone ever gets it quite right!!! don't be too hard on yourself, you won't make that mistake again. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. next month, try to give yourself some wiggle room. I try to give myself about $75-$100 wiggle room at least in my chequeing account and then forget it. and don't forget about an emergency or savings fund. that way you can dip into it if you're stuck like this next time. in the meantime, in case of emergencies you can use your credit card if you do not have an emergency fund yet.

    ReplyDelete