Monday, April 13, 2009

Bad Laptop Karma

Tonight I'm writing from S's tiny Nokia E71 because S and I have clearly done something to piss off the laptop gods.

My Toshiba laptop has been on the fritz for a while with the battery dying even when it's plugged in and registering a charge. Now it will only stay on for a few minutes. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Do I just need a new battery? Anyway, it's not useable so we've been using S's work laptop which today totally went sideways!! The screen went bananas with all these crazy lines and we can't see a thing.

S suggested that I try to take things to a whole new level and try a no spend pay period (except monthly bills and groceries). Now I'm thinking that's not such a bad idea. The weather is getting warmer now anyway so we could play tennis, etc, to keep ourselves entertained for cheap as chips. If I did, that would be a great way to save for a new computer. Then in the summer I could try it again to save for another plane ticket back to BC for one of my best friends weddings.

4 comments:

  1. I'd say it's probably just you battery. My last laptop did the same thing. It ran fine on the adapter but the battery just couldn't hold a charge. It would shut down 10 min after being unplugged. Not a big deal as long as there was an outlet around!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also meant to say that I'm assuming it works fine when its plugged in - if not then I think you have a more serious problem, sorry to say...

    ReplyDelete
  3. it sounds like your battery is dead. how old is your laptop? usually batteries are the first things to go.

    if you do a no spend pay period, good luck! I must admit, it's HARD. but not impossible. Just don't window shop. ^_^;

    ReplyDelete
  4. My laptop is about 3 or 4 years old now. So, hopefully it's just the battery!! I don't want to spend the $$$$ to get a new one.

    It is pretty slow though, so I'll have to get a "tune up" at least. I often joke with S that there's a little old man inside trying his best to run up and down the stairs carrying all the files/windows that need to open. Come on old fella, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete