Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Taking Visa #2 Downtown!

Now that Visa #1 is paid and out of the way, I need to focus my attention on my next goal. No getting lazy or cocky!  Visa #2 still has a punishing amount on it - over $6,000.00 - and it needs to be paid off. I started thinking about this over the weekend... what's my plan to tackle this innocent looking-yet-interest thirsty bank account vampire?

Examining my monthly budget, it looks like I can handle putting about $800.00 directly on to the card every month. My line of credit also requires a 3% payment every month (about $210) but the majority of that goes to principal. So, since my original plan of attack included me transferring my free (lower interest) loc credit up the debt chain, once I've made that payment, I will do just that. 

Line of Credit
3% Monthly payment on $7,000  -   $210
Approx monthly interest incurred - ($50)
Left over to transfer to Visa #2  -    $160.00

So, $800.00 direct payment, plus $160.00 indirect payment = $960.00/month to Visa #2

Plus, I decided that if I don't spend any money on an "ok to spend" day (my no spend days are Tues & Thurs) then, if I want to, I can transfer the ok to spend amount for that day directly to my Visa. A typical budget allows me about $40/day so if I do this on even one day per month I should be able to put about $1,000.00 on my debt every month. My second Visa should be paid off in about 6 months.

Goal:  Pay Visa #2 in full by the end of September 2009.

Re my first Visa, I had paused on whether or not I should cancel it now that it's paid off. Apparently if you have more credit and don't use it it's better for your credit score. However, my past spending record isn't exactly stellar and obviously I only need one Visa card anyway. So, on S's smart advice, I cancelled it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment