Monday, March 23, 2009

Quebec Weekend Recap

Top Reasons I love Montreal:

1) They REALLY know how to make breakfast in that city. Delish.

2) The houses aren't crazy expensive so when you walk past the real estate window, the listings don't feel extraordinarily out of reach.

3) The cops are young and fit! (what a concept) and they wear fantastic camouflage pants. Yes, even the police are stylish.

4) Cobble stone streets in Old Montreal

5) Charming balcony and brownstone buildings on every street

6) Love how tout le monde parle Francais

7) People smile and say hello/bonjour on the streets

8) Four words: Bring Your Own Wine

Thanks to S, the weekend trip didn't blow my budget. In fact, I was only about $1.50 over, haha. What did put me over the top though was grocery shopping when I got home. I only had $100 budgeted but ended up spending $140. It should be ok though, since I'm inserting an extra no spend day today to make up the difference. Tomorrow is my regular no spend day so by Wednesday I should be back on track.

There are a couple things I need to think about this week - more vacation and my credit score. I was reading an entry on one of my fav pf blog's on credit scores and unfortunately, I have no idea what mine is. Next thing, more vacation! I have 9 vacation days left to use before September 1st, so I need to start planning when I'm going to take some days off.

Current Bank Account Balance: $158.81

Btw, does anyone else find the Highway signage in Ontario hilarious? There are all these attractions signs for the small towns trying to lure in some tourist $$... Everything from Jungle Cat Safari's to Granny's Homemade Honey HoneyBee Farm. So random, so priceless.

4 comments:

  1. I've never been to Montreal, but would LOVE to go. It has so much character and charm to it!

    Also, the first time I checked my credit score, I was terrified and excited at the same time. Such a weird feeling. It's like your personal finance report card. If you work hard, you'll get a great grade. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh i HAVE TO go there now! it's been on my list, but those reasons you list will be bumping it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you guys definitely have to check it out. It's so much fun and truly unique compared to all the other Canadian cities I've seen. If you do go, you have to try Cafe Soleil on Rue St-Denis (breakfast) and O'Thym on Avenue Maisonneuve (dinner). They are so delicious you'll fall over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I TOTALLY know the Jungle Cat Safari sign you're talking about! every time i visit i try to get my BF to go there (as a corny joke of course) but he refuses. as a BC girl, i'm sure you'll get the two things about ontario that remind me how big canada really is. 1) they still sell milk in BAGS. WTF? we stopped that when i was 5. i mean seriously, what other beverage is sold in a bag? why a bag? i don't get it. 2) their confusing green arrow turn lights that don't mean what ours do. out here green arrow means go, out there green flashie arrow means you're taking your life in your own hands. or something.

    ReplyDelete